Tuesday, January 15

Helping female deaf student gain empowerment and access to the new (social) media


The advent of New and Social Media has brought tremendous changes in many lives, especially in the lives of women and other marginalized groups – deaf, blind etc.

Today, new [social] media has become that effective tool for social change. It continues to give a voice to the voiceless, and bring to spotlight the needs of the marginalized and abused. This platform has also exposed and promoted local community supports in bringing change.

Sunday, September 30, as part of my VOF Each Teach Five task, it was an honour for me to have finally had the chance to share my skills and Citizen Journalism knowledge with some five female students from the Buea School for the Deaf. Where, I trained them on how to use new media like WorldPulse and social media (Facebook) to gain empowerment and to make their voices heard. Helping them tell their story and also exploring the opportunities new (social) media presents to all humankind.

Naomi, a VOF EachTeach Five Trainee Tells Her Story:

My name is Naomi Nana Wandja, I am 18 years old. I am in form four. Permit me share my story with you especially how and when I became deaf –and what life is like to be deaf for someone who was not born deaf?
 
It all started when I was six. I began experiencing this on-and-off fever. Until one day, not only did I have fever –but did loss my hearing ability. At that time I was about 7 – 8 years. What a difficult moment for me and my family.

When this all happened, I was in primary school. Each day I will cry, wept for myself not been able to play with friends, siblings laugh and / or gossip and talk to each other freely like before


One day, I asked my mum whether there was a place on this planet, a country I can find deaf people; a place where I can live with people like me happily.
 
Luckily for me, one day (a month or two after I had asked my mum to look for me a place where I will see people like me), my mum took me to a deaf school in Kumba, there I saw young people like myself who were deaf. I was surprised though glad to know I am not alone on this world. There I learnt sign-language and how to read and write better. After obtaining my FSLC, I was enrolled in BSD, which is where I have been for four years. BSD is my second home, my family. I love my school, teachers and friends. I feel so safe and secure here.
 
At BSD, we are one another’s keeper, we live happily –BSD is that home I had always longed for.
BSD gave me hope, love and made him dream big. I believe I can be whatever I want to be if I work hard. And one day, I hope to build a higher learning institution like a university and vocational school with multi-disciplinary for the deaf. With the right education, I know we [deaf] can bring great change in our society.

Connect with Naomi Alison on WorldPulse at WP/NaomiAlison
View Our Sister's Profile at - anyinkeng's profile [1]
Join Buea School for the Deaf on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/FoBSD/?ref=ts&fref=ts

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for taking a moment to read my articles.

Your comments and suggestions are highly welcome.

With all best wishes