It’s with deep shock that FIDA Kenya has learned of the heinous acts meted upon Mrs. Tess iyi Wigwe by her husband, Chief Dr. Chijioke Wilcox Wigwe, the Nigerian High Commissioner to Kenya through the Star Newspaper of the 26th May 2011.
Considering the acts of violence as described by Mrs. Wigwe in her statement and the descriptive photographs it is quite clear that the Commissioner has no respect for women and is therefore not fit serve as a High Commissioner or in any official capacity.
The Kenyan Government has both international and constitutional obligations to provide protection against violence for not only Kenyans but also for vulnerable persons within its borders. The Federation of Women Lawyers (FIDA Kenya) therefore calls upon the Kenyan Government to:
- Declaration of Chief Dr. Chijioke Wilcox Wigwe as persona non grata;
- Immediately withdrawal of Chief Dr. Chijioke Wilcox Wigwe’s diplomatic immunity and status;
- Immediate arrest and prosecution of Dr. Chijioke Wilcox Wigwe.
FIDA Kenya also calls upon the Nigerian Government to:
- Immediately withdraw all diplomatic status and immunity accorded to Dr. Chijioke Wilcox Wigwe.
- Provide immediate protection and care to Mrs. Wigwe.
- Undertake extensive human rights and gender training for all its Government officials, diplomatic officers and the general public in Nigeria.
- Issue a statement declaring protection of human rights of women both in and out of Nigeria.
Federation of Women Lawyers-Kenya
Amboseli Road, Off Gitanga Road
P.O. Box 46324-00100
Tel +254 20 3870444/3873511/386995
Fax +254 20 3876372
Mobile +254 733845003/ +254 722 509760